Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Mixed Emotions.....

I woke up way too early this morning...like 4 a.m. Way too early! I could not go back to sleep...way too much on my mind, like could I call in sick and stay home on this beautiful spring day??? Sounds so good, but oh no....it is Easter cookie lab day and no sub will cover that activity so I guess to work I go. On the way to work I called to talk to Tim. He was contemplating the fact that turning in his resignation from the Navy was imminent and I probably did not understand how he felt about that. He knows it is what he wants to do but really doing it...that is a big step. Well, he had that conversation with the right person..I do know. I have basically quit work...after this year if I am not a part time employee then I am no longer an employee. My choice, my decision. I just cannot take on the task of all new curriculum and new subjects at this point in my life...so I said the word to those that matter...RETIRE.
Oh my gosh that is hard. I seriously had one of the best days at work today ever. My students are amazing...simply amazing. We made cookies. I do that lab once each semester and it never ceases to amaze me how much fun the kids have with bags of frosting.
They are so intent with food colors. It is an art form to them and they take their job very seriously. I just stand back and laugh. It is a mess...a HUGE mess and the laundry and clean up afterward is overwhelming but oh so worth it.
I may not be here to do this next year :( Someone else might be directing my kids....yes, they are MY kids. I love them and they have made me laugh way more days than they have made me mad.

I took this job at a time in my life when I really did not know why I would make a career change that would send me back to college at 52 years old but God had a plan, I just did not know it.
We lost Matt in October of that first year I spent in the classroom. Two weeks after the accident when I did not even want to get out of bed... I had too. I had to return to work. And on what I thought would be another one of my worst days...walking back into that classroom a way different person than I was when I had left two weeks earlier....it was one of my best days. There were 150 kids who were waiting patiently for me to come back because they missed me. Those kids gave me a reason to get dressed in the morning and face another day.

And these kids continue to bring me joy every day. They need me.....and they fullfill my need to nurture. They teach me everyday about patience and the things I have been blessed with. There are so many of these kids that have nothing...but they are hoping for better for themselves. It is so much easier to teach them than the kids who have everything for they are grateful and they appreciate.
So I do understand...life changes courses and sometimes those changes are inevitable and maybe very hard. I am still not sure how I feel about retiring. I have a very long bucket list and I do not want to run out of time but I am glad that my life included a job that I really do not want to leave...not one I am dying to get away from.






No comments:

Post a Comment