Saturday, December 10, 2011

Football That Matters....

I love this game. Well, it is no secret that I just love football period...but, this day in December holds a special place in my heart. It is my favorite by far.
I had the privilege of actually attending 7 Army Navy match ups and I have memories that are among my favorite. Nothing can compare.
There are games that have more significance in a football powerhouse sort of way. No one who plays in this game is thinking in terms of a BCS Championship. No one today will be on any pro draft list. No one will be contacting an agent who will look for the best options and packages for their future football career. These guys look at things with a whole different perspective. After they leave the field today they will be warriors...the kind that defend our country. They will be part of the infantry, a SEAL team member, a fighter pilot, or defending from a battleship. It does not matter, they will do their job with pride. They know what is required of them. Football at Army or Navy is a privilege as is serving in the armed forces . It is a commitment and one they and their families take seriously. They know the risks. Some of the men that stand on the field today will pay for this honor with their lives....my son was one of those men. Matt took his job seriously and knew the possible outcomes...it was his choice. I am proud.
Today I am thankful for the years that we witnessed the character of these players first hand. I am thankful for the friendships made and the tremendous times had at each and every battle. Early morning subway rides to the stadium with awesome families, piles of blankets, frigid temps, and huge after the game celebrations...for I witnessed many Navy victories. It was the best of times!!!
So today, thank you men and women of West Point and the Naval Academy. You are the cream of the crop!!
Go Navy, Beat Army!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment