Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Just Old Friends.....

I really think this has been one of my favorite Christmas seasons. Okay the ones "back in the day" when the kids were at home will always be at the top of the list, but somehow this Christmas has been special. Maybe it is the free time I have had, maybe the realization that I am a senior citizen and am on the downhill side of life, or maybe just because I have found value in enjoying every moment. I have always sat on the optimist side of the fence but I used to always be in a hurry. Just don't want to rush the days anymore...I know the importance of hanging on to each one.
So, it was off to "brunch" with another group of old friends. Today was my old coworkers who are now in retirement mode with me. We lunch monthly and share and reminisce and laugh. This month was special. We dined at Sandy's beautiful house. One of the first giveaways that they are passionate LSU Tiger fans is her totally purple and gold tree with only like colored wrapping paper underneath!
The food was fantastic and the opportunity to be in no hurry at all to finish was even better.
I know I have said this all year long, but I am so very blessed. I have been given the chance to remain in the same neighborhood for over 32 years. You collect things when you stay put and one of my favorite collections are my friends. I know especially now what a gift they all are. I love my family above all else. Nothing can replace that......but I also know that when God has thrown me some curve balls and I have had to look for strength, those lifelong friends have been a source of unending support.

Maybe I have been on the mushy end of reminiscing lately. We are close to the end of this season which is my favorite time of the year and I don't want to forget. I don't want to forget the joy I have found in every day of December...and maybe if I reread all of this periodically I will keep a little bit of it in my heart until this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment