Thursday, January 12, 2012

Irony.....

I have a book that I dearly love.."Simple Abundance"
It was given to me when Matt died. The posting on the day of his death was ironic.
I read it periodically and it always seems that the reading fits the day. I went back to read the entry of January 7th....Finley's birthday. The following is an excerpt.

How Happy Are you Right Now?
Perhaps if one really knew when one was happy, one would know the things that were necessary for one's life. (Joanna Field)

"How happy are you right now? Do you even know. Most women know what makes their parents, partners, or children happy. But when it comes to an awareness about the little, specific things in life that bring a smile to our faces and contentment to our own hearts, we often come up short.
What is missing from many of our days is a true sense that we are enjoying the lives we are living. It is difficult to experience a moment of happiness if we are not aware of what it is we genuinely love. We must learn to savor small, authentic moments that bring us contentment. Simple pleasures waiting to be enjoyed. Simple pleasures often overlooked. Let us consider our personal preferences and learn how to recognize, to embrace, moments of happiness that our uniquely our own."

Wow...how introspective and thoughtful. It is very easy to be on the top of the world when you have just witnessed the birth of a grandchild. That joy last for quite awhile. But, then we move on to the everyday lives we all lead and we have to find simple things for a life that is not always embracing a major event. So I thought, and made a list of the things I love that make me smile and my goal is to enjoy these simple things and realize that our whole lives cannot be a huge celebration.

What I Love
The color red.....ummm and pink
Anything Philosophy
Flip Flops
Sweat Pants
Kids of all ages
Flowers of any kind
Being outside
Open windows and 70 degree weather
A good laugh
Sunday dinner
Sports
My sewing machine
Cotton fabric
My camera
Captured moments in photos
Lunch with friends
Sunshine
Sleeping late and a electric blanket on high when it is cold
Tea on my front porch in the morning
My front porch anytime
A neighborhood full of children playing

My list could be so much longer. So, on an ordinary day there are so many things to enjoy. It is just important to recognize those things because life is not always a major event.


No comments:

Post a Comment