Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Nana...

My sister-in-law is a "Nana". Peyton came ten weeks ago but the adoption is now pretty much official and today we had a shower to honor our new niece and the family's newest grandmother. Pam, like all new grandparents is smitten. Aren't we all? It is life at it's finest.
So as I am going through shower pictures I am wondering...
How do we decide who we are? Are we Gramma, Nana, Dodo, Honey, Granny, Gran, Mamaw, or any of the other monikers tacked on to the parent of the parent? I really did not give it a whole lot of thought. I pretty much just wanted to be Grandma like all the grandmothers I had. My kids had a Grandma Shubzda so I wanted to be Grandma Shubzda too...but I thought Gramma sounded more like I wanted it to sound. Seriously not something I had given all that much thought to before the time arrived and I actually got to play that role. So now that I am no longer employed that might be material for some kind of research paper.
I also spent time pondering the "new mom" advice we were asked to give the new mother. Rest when you can, teach your husband to cook, make time for yourself....all worthy pieces of wisdom. But, I have a better idea....act like a grandmother!!!! Oh, how great that would be if moms could really do that. If you could ignore the laundry, not worry about meals, forget about the crushed Cheerios all over the floor, and just play with your kids. That after all is what Grammas get to do. All of the mundane tasks can be handled when those precious grandkids leave. That is what makes being a grandparent so wonderful. Sadly enough parents have to fulfill the role of disciplinarian, bread winner, chief cook and bottle washer, and on and on. Years from now they will be rewarded and they too will be Nana, Gramma, Gran????...they better start giving this some thought. It is a tough decision!

No comments:

Post a Comment