Friday, January 6, 2012

Just Remembering...

Today has been an incredibly beautiful day here. It is in the high 70's and sunny. It is the kind of day when you just cannot seem to squeeze enough enjoyment out of the afternoon. Three years ago today was also a wonderful day, though I do not remember what the weather was like. A special young man was born to two wonderful friends. Matt's college roommate and his high school BFF had a baby boy, who was my son's namesake. From Greece came a phone call that he had arrived way ahead of schedule but was seemingly healthy, just small. I remember wishing Greece was not so far away. I wanted to go there, to celebrate his birth but it was not even feasible so we just celebrated here. A mere five days later he was gone...almost as quickly as he came. It was crushing news. I remember that phone call. It was equally as hard as the news I got about my Matt for some reason. A new life gone before it even started. Ken and Cortney were a world away left to deal with this by themselves...no family near. Today I am sad, because I know what their day must be like. When this happens to you you pray that no other parent will know what it is like to loose a child. Sadly, the Schwalbe's know. They have two beautiful girls now and some would think that fixes things but I know it does not. There will be a missing part of their lives forever. They are in my prayers today. Cortney is with her family and children in Arkansas while her husband is spending the next year in Afghanistan, a world away. Sometimes I wonder why God asks so much of such good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment