Monday, September 15, 2014

Another Adventure......

Before I have even packed my bags to take what I know will be the trip of a lifetime to France, I have paid my deposit to embark on yet another amazing adventure. There seem to be endless opportunities coming my way, unexpected surprises that I did not seek out, but simply fell in
my path.
For all of the years we did not do anything, we are now being rewarded with things we never imagined.
Next July I am headed to the Holy Land. 
 I have no bucket list.  I have always thought I would rather just wait for an opportunity I have never really imagined to present itself and then be surprised by what lie ahead...but if I did have an official list I do not think my mind could have comprehended putting this (or France either) on it.  
It was there, in the bulletin at church, like France, and we talked about it and decided I could go.
I can go to the Holy Land!
Another pilgrimage with my church friends and with my other favorite priest, Father Jacob.
I can walk the roads that Jesus walked.  I can walk in the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus prayed the night before his crucifixion.
I can pray at the tomb of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
Together we will swim in the Dead 
Sea....a sea that is a body of water so far below sea level that no life can survive in it.  It is the sight of many healings due to the high mineral and salt content of the water...and yes, we will all swim in it,  unbothered by body size and varicose veins.  What an awesome feeling.
My husband very clearly said that if I can soak my arthritic hands in the mud and come home healed, he will be in church with me every Sunday.  Just healing my hands will be enough reward!
I can go with our group and stand where Jesus and his disciples shared the last supper...Where Jesus instituted the Holy Eucharist, "this is my body, this is my blood, do this in remembrance of me"...and we still do, and will in that very spot.
I can envision it in my mind...but now I can be there.
We will have mass at Golgatha, the sight where Jesus was crucified.  
And we will travel the Sea of Galilee in a wooden boat...the very sea where Jesus walked on water.
It is almost too much for my mind to comprehend right now.
The bible will come alive, 
the stories have I heard in church since I was old enough to remember will be real.
I have believed by faith alone, but now I will see what I believe and I cannot imagine that I will not be touched in a way that is beyond comprehension.
There just are not words for the blessings behind and ahead for us.
So France soon and then off to the Holy Land....I may just be getting started.
Old age is a gift!....A beautiful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment