Monday, October 20, 2014

If It's Saturday It Must Be Paris!!!!!......

Yes, we are finally in Paris.  We fought traffic not unlike that of Dallas to get into the city on Friday night.  We arrived at our hotel, tried to find a place for our luggage in a room that was about 10' x 10' and met for dinner.
My first impressions of Paris were not at all good.  It was like New York City on steroids.  After days of peaceful countryside we were packed into crowded, noisy city with not nearly enough room for all of it's inhabitants.  I wanted to flee.  Cars were coming from every direction, keeping up with 45 people was no longer easy, and I was not sure why anyone would want to travel so far to be here.
After dinner and a not so good nights sleep in a double bed with no air conditioning in a very hot room...we rose to make the best of our first day in Paris.
First on our Saturday agenda....the Notre Dame Cathedral.
 Immediately in front of Notre Dame was a stone that marked the center spot of Paris.
I was standing here and I was staring at the most magnificent structure I have ever seen.  Notre Dame did not disappoint.  This was why you came to Paris.  I do not care if you are Catholic or Muslim, the sheer magnitude of this Cathedral was more than I could even have imagined.
From every angle was grandeur. 
 You simply cannot take too many pictures when you are standing in the center of Paris staring at Notre Dame.



 For Jimmy and I it was our first visit to Paris...or anywhere overseas, but even for those that had been here they still stood in awe.
We were blessed again by such a knowledgeable guide who explained every intricate detail of every carving on the building.

 That in itself was worth the trip.  
These were not haphazardly carved into the stone, they all had meaning and significance.
It made sense.

 Inside was a combination of simplicity and grandeur in each nook and cranny of 
the cathedral.

 It would take days to absorb all that was in there...we had but an hour.

 Outside the back was as grand as the front.




 It was really hard to walk away from here, but there was more to be seen and the bus was waiting....off to the Left Bank and a stop for lunch.





 The left Bank is the artsy part of Paris. There was much to see and while some were taking in the shops and the art, I was amazed at the people whose daily routine was hanging wash over their upstairs railing.  This is their home, their life.  I wonder if they stand there and laugh at all of the tourist who tramp through their neighborhoods everyday.  


 I wonder what goes on behind this door.  
Life is different here.
I am glad I am the tourist.....they are probably glad we are the tourist too.
I am sure they feel like there are far too many Americans invading their space.
Saturday Part II...another post.  
We are off to Montmarte as soon as the bus arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment