Monday, September 7, 2009

Another Kind of Labor...

Happy 25th Birthday Drew

Yes, labor day had different meaning on this day 25 years ago. This labor indicated that baby #4 was on the way. I remember sitting at Tim's soccer game, having contractions, thinking "Oh, please wait awhile longer. I can't go now!"

And when it was all over we had our last baby, a little boy we named Andrew Hale. Drew was then and still is our free spirit, our child that challenged every rule, believing that the punishment was worth just having the pleasure of committing the crime! When a stern look from their dad sent shivers up our other children's spines..not so with Drew.

With unruly white hair and a huge grin he lived his childhood like he might miss something if he stopped for one minute. He was always four years old going on twenty. With him we paid our dues...but he was also the one with the huge heart. I remember the picture he drew for his grandpa that hung in dad's ICU unit after bypass surgery . I remember how sweaty he smelled when he came to sit with my mom in the hospital after he finished baseball practice, knowing I needed a break. He stood on a football field in the pouring rain the night his brother was killed because he needed the support of his teammates.

Drew has an incredible sense of direction, like a built in GPS in his head. There is not much he cannot build or fix, and his work ethic is exceptional. He has a job many people would envy and I when I hear him quoting numbers and beam sizes on the phone I wonder how he got so smart. He will drop anything to go help out a friend if they call. He is loyal and honest and sensitive.

He is the youngest. That in itself is a battle!!! He has weathered a lot of storms and hung on and I admire his tenacity. Happy Birthday, Drew!!! We love you.




No comments:

Post a Comment