Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Is This Like Nesting?........

This is an odd place to be.... With a phone call from Mandy last week, the realization that a baby was in our near future became real. Yes, I have known this all along but only in an abstract manner. I have looked at sonogram photos, picked out a name for myself, watched Mandy's tummy grow, worked on a scrapbook and sewn numerous baby items...but it was all so far in the future that it did not register as reality. I have a grandbaby on the way, and when I get the phone call I am going to be there for his/her birth. That is what grandparents should do. This is special. This is our first. It would not matter however, if it was the fourth or fifth. Grandparents go. All of the grandmas and grandpas were there for the arrival of my children. But they just hopped in the car and drove to Presbyterian Hospital. All they had to worry about was having cash to get out of the parking lot. This is huge.

I had booked airline tickets for travel on the baby's due date. Like...what are the chances that is when Baby Shoob will actually arrive????!!!! That is where my preparation stopped....until Mandy called. Oh goodness, this will require a suitcase, packing, changing flight plans, ect. I am now in ready mode! I am on a continual pace to keep the laundry done, house picked up, legs shaved (really), refrigerator cleaned out, dog food in stock, and so on. This is what I did before my kids arrived. I think it is "nesting". I am there!!! But this is for a different arrival. This is for my grandchild and it is equally if not more exciting to me. This is so much different but so much the same. The anticipation of seeing my son and beautiful daughter-in-law holding their own child is beyond what I can comprehend right now. Only when I see it will it be real. In the mean time I am "nesting" and loving the sense that it is near!

No comments:

Post a Comment