Thursday, September 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Firstborn Son....

Happy 34th Birthday my special son. Not special because I loved you more than the others, special because you were first. For five years we waited and prayed for you and when you arrived it was like a dream. Hard to believe we were actually holding you. We couldn't put you down. We had to make sure you were real. And, yes, you were so real. You were a beautiful child who was on a mission from birth. There was an eagerness in your life from the start. You took off running at 8 months 3 weeks of age and never slowed down. There was always something to accomplish. You needed to be ahead of the pack at every turn. A B was never acceptable at school, you had to do better than that. Everything you did had to be done full force. Mediocre was not in your vocabulary. But, you did it all with such enthusiasm. It was not work, it was fun...there was always a sense of joy at every task mastered. I often wondered if you knew...if you knew that your life would be short, if you felt there might not be enough time to get to where you were going so you hurried faster than most.

I miss you son, as much today as the day you left. I long for the phone to ring and for you to say"hey mom, it's Matt". Did you not think I would recognize your voice? I loved that about you. You were consistent. We shared and we talked. You were my confidant, my sounding board, my go to man for advice. We had conversations...not just one minute phone calls. I miss that so much. I miss the day when I visited in Annapolis and we were in the yard at the ONE WAY and a friend hollered out to ask where you were. You answered "hangin' with my mama". That was a special time and those are the times that I hold so near and dear to my heart.
I am blessed because I know that your life was full of excitement, challenges, and goals which you met head on with that ever present smile and positive attitude. You saw to good in everyone and everything. You had no enemies. You seemed to bring out the best in everyone around you.
We thank you for sharing your laughter, your sense of joy, and the belief that the world is a beautiful place. Although God granted you such a short life, wonderful memories will live forever in our hearts.
I love you Matt,
MOM



No comments:

Post a Comment