Friday, June 3, 2011

Bare Walls and Empty Drawers......

My classroom that was bright and colorful and made me happy each day is bare. The walls are stark and the thing looks like a closet...or an institution.
The drawers are empty. There are no student folders, lesson plan files, or papers to be graded. It is barren. I am really done. I took one last look at my classroom and closed the door. It is no fun without students in there anyway so walking out was good. The kids have left, finals are over, grades submitted and that is it. I know that my blog has been an endless novel about the end of school and the end of my career but after 23 years I have lots of thoughts. I really did not know how hard this would be. Maybe it was because I did not start until I was 40. I finished college, got married, had a family, stayed home to raise them, and then went to work. Work became a passion and now that chapter is over. It closes a door on another segment of my life.
There are good, NO GREAT, things ahead. I am excited for everything I have to look forward to. I have wonderful memories and someday when I am REALLY old I have boxes of letters to remind me that I did a good job and somehow I made a difference.
So, today I turned in the shabby keychain that someone said looked like a weapon. I do not need to unlock those doors in the morning anymore. Someone new will take that task over.
I have a shiny new keychain now. I think the heart is very appropriate. It reminds me of all the things I love that I left behind, and all of the things I love that lie ahead. I am a VERY lucky person!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment