Monday, December 9, 2013

Someone Is In The Kitchen.....

No...EVERYONE is in the kitchen! 
 After three days of being "iced in" we decided that being "iced in" together would at least give us different faces to look at.  So we took advantage of all the groceries I had stocked up on and called it a "bake in".
And speaking of ice"ing"....we put the construction kings on the most tedious task...the great gingerbread house build. Do not laugh.  After many years of doing this in the classroom with teenagers I know there is a fine art to getting the pieces just right.  This is not a job for the faint of heart because the decorating dreams of a four year old are totally dependent on this house being sturdy enough!
Meanwhile, the women grabbed a wooden spoon and did what we do best...BAKE!
I am an admitted failure in the meal preparation category.  I do not like fixing dinner and if we could just go with grilled cheese and tomato soup nightly I would be a happy camper.
But, give me brown sugar and baking powder and I can compete with the best of the Food Network stars.

This is also a time to teach the "children" the fine art of measurement.  A teaspoon of salt is whatever fits in the palm of your hand.  Next step...the difference between a liquid measuring cup and a dry measuring cup....oh yes, it matters.

The best part of the whole day?  A GIANT sugar rush!!
What the kids did not devour I did.  Just think, we still have two weeks until Christmas to get our cookie fix.....followed by a diet of flaxseed and celery to repair our damaged digestive system.
Until the clock strikes midnight on December 25th, I am in a state of Christmas love.
That might mean eating about another dozen cake balls!

No comments:

Post a Comment